Here are ten free SEO tips to help prevent you from making some of the most common mistake when it comes to getting more web traffic from search engines to your website or blog.
10. Poor Content: All the optimization in the world is not going to help a web page that no one wants to read.
9. Outdated Content: The less often you update your site, the less often web crawlers are going to visit it, and the less importance it will be given when being ranked.
8. Having no Link Strategy: Honest, quality links to your website is crucial for good page ranking for more web traffic. The best ranked webmasters and bloggers will tell you they spend as much time building links and developing relationships as they do working on their content – or more! If you’re only going to take away one of these free SEO pointers, this should be the one.
7. Too Many Synonyms: If you’re targeting a keyword, use it in your web page. If your keyword is “family dog”, don’t expect the search engines to give you credit for saying “family pet”, “your dog”, “Rex”, “the dog in your home”, or any other synonym, aphorism, or metaphor. Humans may understand these all mean the same thing, but the search engines don’t.
6. Keywords that are Too General: Trying to optimize keywords that are too general will hurt your ranking and prevent you from getting more web traffic. If your page is about website tools, and you have optimized “tools” as your keyword, everyone looking for hammers and saws will hit the back button before your page has even loaded.
5. Keywords that are Too Specific: If only ten people a month are looking for your keyword “how to eat artichokes in public”, how many do you think will come to your web page today?
4. No Outbound Links: Nobody appreciates a dead-end street, search engines included. If you want to be part of the information super-highway, don’t build a cul-de-sac.
3. Click here. If you link to a website that is related to your keyword, include the keyword in your link. Using “click here” as the link says nothing.